For domestic orders over $75.00. Discount applies to other orders. For full restrictions see store policies.
Registered Users get free shipping for purchases over $50.00!
Perhaps the most important component of your bike are its wheels, which is why there is no better investment for your ride than a set of wheels which has been hand-built by a trained mechanic. Hand-built wheels are stronger, will stay in true longer, and will break spokes much less frequently. It will also allow you to have a completely custom set with combinations of rims and spokes which cannot usually be purchased together. We can build wheels for any type of bicycle: Mountain, Road, Track, or BMX!
Once you have selected the components a professional mechanic will hand build your wheel customized to your exact specifications. Custom wheels are shipped four to six business days after they are ordered. Wheels that are returned or cancelled after the build process has begun - unless due to a mistake on our part - are subject to a 30% fee. Our free shipping policy does not apply to custom wheels.
1. Select a Rim - You can select any rim available for sale in our catalog, which offers rims from brands such as Zipp, Campagnolo, Sun, Velocity, WTB, and DT Swiss. Add the rim you have chosen to your shopping cart.
2. Select a Hub - Hubs can be found in the Components section of our catalog. We offer hundreds of variations from brands such as Chris King, Shimano, DT Swiss, Campagnolo, SRAM, and more! Add the hub you have chosen to your shopping cart and return to this page.
3. Select a Build Type - Use the popup menus above to select how many spoke holes your particular wheel will have. This number should match up to the number of holes in the rim and hub you have chosen.
4. Select a Lacing Pattern - 3-cross Lacing is the standard method due to its superior strength. However other options are available which will reduce the weight of the wheel, but sacrifice some of its strength. We do not offer radial lacing at this time as it voids the warranty of many hubs.
5. Select a Spoke Model - The wheelhouse uses only DT Swiss spokes. The measurement number in the spoke description (such as 2.0mm) refers to the diameter of the spoke itself. A spoke with two or three numbers (such as 2.0/1.8) means that the spoke is double or triple butted, an advanced design where the spoke is forged with a smaller diameter in the middle than in the ends, resulting in a superior spoke that is both light and strong. Please see this DT Swiss page for specifications on different spoke models.
6. Select a Nipple Type - Our brass and aluminum nipples are the standard for wheel building. For your convenience we also offer other DT Swiss models, details of which can be found on this page.
After you have completed all the options please click the "Add to Cart" button. Remember to make sure you have select a rim and hub also! If ordering more than one wheel at once you may add all the items to your shopping cart. You must have one "Wheel Build" item per wheel. Please specify which hub/rim combination goes with what Wheel Build specification in the "Comments" section of the order. You can also order other parts and accessories with your custom wheels, and they will all be shipped together, usually within 4 business days. Please place all orders for custom wheels via the website, as we are not yet equipped for this system on phone orders. Custom wheels cannot be returned unless there is a defect in workmanship.
Bring your bike in before March to get a full overhaul at the price of a tune-up, and we'll store the bike til Spring!
Alfred E. Bike © 2012
320 E. Michigan Avenue - Kalamazoo, MI 49007 - 269.349.9423